Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Colorado wedding- Lauren and Tom Parker

 
  
Back a few months ago, when I was still retired, I was asked by my dear friend if I could photograph her daughter's upcoming wedding in Colorado. Since my husband and I were already planning on attending the wedding (we live in So Cal) and I was going to  bring my camera along, anyways, to take some extra photos at the event, I said OK. Then, at that moment, I thought, "Holy Cow, I just agreed to shoot my best friend's daughter's wedding in another state and I'm not equipped for any of this". You could say that's when panic set in. I hadn't shot a wedding in years and all my equipment that I owned those days were only for vacations and pictures of my family- I had nothing that I could use at a professional level. My wonderful husband, Kenny, encouraged me to go forward and photograph the wedding AND he also bought me all new and up to date equipment that I was going to need. Hence, after a 5 year retirement, I was back in business.

But, I still had a bit of uneasiness in me. I wanted to give the couple great photos but I hadn't been in the business for a long time- thing have changed. Was I going to be good enough? Did I still have it in me to do something as important as my best friend's daughter's wedding? Flying to Denver- was I going to be able to carry all my equipment on the plane with me and not check any of it in? And I usually have an assistant working with me at all my weddings- who was going to help me out that day? The more I thought, the more I got nervous. (I tend to over think things sometimes.)

Well, I manage to carry all my equipment on the plane with me without any problems. I did a little research and I looked up what other wedding photographers were doing these days. But the best thing of all, my husband agreed to be my assistant for the day. Now, I need to tell you, Kenny is not a photographer!!! He is a CPA (accountant) by trade. He doesn't like to have his picture taken nor is he that thrilled when I ask him to take a picture or two of me. I only really thought that if he can keep me on schedule and carry my equipment and maybe take about a dozen or so pictures, I would be happy for his help. Well, I was so surprised with all that he did! He not only kept me on a tight schedule- he carried all my equipment and kept the batteries fully charged. But most of all, he was an amazing photographer!!! Who know this mild mannered account by day had a hidden photography talent inside him. I was able to use a few hundred of his shots for the final product.

And I have to say, it only took a few minutes of taking pictures to feel as if I was "back in the saddle" again. It was like riding a bike. It felt natural taking pictures again.

Well, the wedding was beautiful. A snowy day in Estes Park, CO at that wonderful Stanley Hotel. Lots of terrific backgrounds to use. Crazy cast of characters... ie. wedding party. And a stunning bride and groom... It was all good.

Over 1000 images were sent to the bride and groom (and both sets of parents too). I hope everyone had a great time at the wedding and that Kenny and I were able to capture the joy and happiness of the event. But most of all, I hope Tom and Lauren will look at the pictures for many years come and they will them remind them of their wonderful wedding day filled with happy memories.


 

  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment